Queer Avengers Take On Media

Salient aspires to be Side-Kick

It wasn’t Glitz Glam and Trans at Anvil House last Thursday; instead there was a tough message for New Zealand media.

The Queer Avengers press conference saw members of the transgender community express their outrage at what they consider to be a notoriously transphobic New Zealand media.

Transphobia, which is defined as hostility towards people who are transgender or who otherwise transgress traditional gender norms, is a topic which has recently sparked a string of debates following recent advertising campaigns and articles within the media.

Most notably were a Dominion Post column written by Rosemary McLeod, and a Libra Tampon advertisement.

One press conference attendee said what McLeod had written was a direct 10 attack and disregard for the group that is more than just stilettos, make-up, and wigs.

“The archaic quip ‘he/she’ is not something we like to be called. I am sitting here in front of you, wearing a skirt. Why can’t you just call me a woman?” they said.

The Libra tampon advertisement, which was later pulled following widespread criticism, showed the contrast between ‘real women’ and their counterparts.

“That ad is just trying to define what it means to be a woman. Just because we can’t menstruate, doesn’t make us any less female.”

The panel’s message outlined that if the media changed its portrayal of the transgender community, the perception of this group in society would be changed.

“Transphobia is affecting the lives of many. Suicide among transgender teenagers is five times higher than other groups. Something has to change,” a panelist said.

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,