April 23, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

VUWSA Treasurer

In my last column, I defined why VUWSA is imperative to a quality education—it gives students a say over their education. I admit it was an ideological explanation as to why—one VUWSA executive member referred to it as ‘horribly cliché’—but sometimes the most cliché adages are the truth; what we needed to hear.

Today, though, I want break my vision down into a more concrete model. The first topic— why am I in the position of treasurer?

Being fiscally sustainable is an essential part of achieving VUWSA’s outcome of giving you, the students, a bigger say in your education. This year, we are in a financially volatile environment. This in turn leads to some hard choices about where we want to be. Where we are going? What do we want our VUWSA to look like? Do we want a VUWSA that encourages clubs, societies and a vibrant student community? Do we value our voice being heard?

I have a suggestion. We need to be prioritizing our student voice ahead of anything else. We need to ‘get back to our roots’ *cue Six60*. Victoria University Students’ Association’s first action was to lobby the University Council on the establishment of a library. It was a defiant stand against the University on an issue that would affect our education.

In 2012, we need to remember where we, as generations of students, have come from, and where we are heading.

At some point of your university career, classes or programmes could get cut. You will, invariably, encounter a terrible lecturer. You might even have moments where you have to stand up to a choice made about your education and say “that’s not right”. VUWSA needs to be there to help you make that stand.

To do that, we need to make our student voice a priority financially.

Soon, a service review of VUWSA will be put out for discussion. I would like to note that this is a document to promote discussion amongst the student body. Certain areas in particular have been highlighted, but in all honesty this shouldn’t be as a threat or an assault on your view of VUWSA. This is an opportunity for you to tell me where you want VUWSA to go and where you think we hold the most relevance. Forums will also be held by myself in regard to this. Come along. Agree with me, get angry with me; let your thoughts be known.

I know two things. Firstly, VUWSA will make it through its current financial difficulties and continue to be a relevant organization. The second point is essential to the first—we need you to have your say. It’s time VUWSA got back to its roots: you.