Game Of Thrones

Council Election Set To Be Merciless

Victoria University is calling for nominations for the position of University Council Student Representative which is becoming vacant at the end of the year as incumbent student representative, Max Hardy finishes his term. Nominations close on September 5, after which an election will be held.

However, if only one person is nominated, instead of running against a vote of no- confidence, no election will be held and the sole nominee will assume the office. This is the same way staff representatives are elected to the forum and is in accordance with the Council election statute. As of time of publication, the University was unable to give comment on why this was statute policy or whether it could be changed.

In addition to the Student Representative, Students have traditionally been represented by the presence of the VUWSA President on the University Council, but following the creation of the Student Forum, that seat will now be allocated to its elected chair. Over 70 per cent of the student body are members of VUWSA and can elect its President. In contrast, those on the Student Forum are not elected, and of its members some are chosen by the University. It remains unclear how the forum can elect a student representative when it in itself is not representative of students.

VUWSA President Bridie Hood said if the University is not going to recognise VUWSA as the primary representative body, then it should at least hold an election for both student representative positions. Hood’s advice for anyone intending to run for VUWSA President in 2013 is to simultaneously run for the Student Representative position, in case they are not elected chair of the Student Forum.

“Because ultimately, the Council is the height of student representation.”