Partisan Hacks

Salient asked, “Winston Peters recently called for the issue of marriage equality to be put to a referendum. Is this an appropriate decision of determination by popular vote?” The Hacks respond…

ACT On Campus – Michael Warren

We oppose the idea that the majority should be able to tell the minority what to do. Act on Campus supports limiting the powers of government in order to give individuals and families more choice and freedom. Asking the majority to vote away a certain group of rights seems counterproductive.

NZ First Youth – Josh Van Veen

The collective judgement of the people should be trusted in matters for which MPs do not have a mandate. The only alternative is to further alienate the public from the democratic process. If, as the proponents of marriage equality claim, the vast majority of New Zealanders support their cause then they have nothing to lose and everything to gain from a public referendum.

Vic Labour – Reed Fleming

Absolutely not. While the majority of New Zealanders support marriage equality, this is about fundamental human rights to be free from discrimination. Human rights shouldn’t be determined by referendum. It’s a cop out by a party in desperate need of a spine replacement. Labour stands for freedom and equality and is proud to support marriage equality.

Greens@Vic – Harriet Farquar

Everyday Parliament makes decisions and legislates on behalf of the citizens of Aotearoa. Why should this Bill be any different? Louisa Wall’s Bill is about equality for all New Zealanders, regardless of sex, sexual orientation or gender identity. It’s an issue of rights and ending State discrimination. What better issue for the New Zealand Parliament to legislate on than this?

Vic Nats – Christian Hermansen

The VicNats support marriage equality, but the VicNats believe that we elect Members of Parliament every 3 years to represent our views during the law making process, whether it be through a party vote or electorate vote. Referendums should only be used when entrenched parts of our constitution require change. Having referenda on every issue that came before parliament would cost the tax payer immensely and take a lot of time.