The AGM That Wasn’t

EVEN DELICIOUS PIZZA FAILS TO INDUCE CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM

VUWSA lost the quorum required to make constitutional changes needed to enforce the Governance Review’s recommendations at the AGM on the Wednesday before mid- semester break.

A quorum of 100 association members is needed for VUWSA to make constitutional changes, but it was still short at 1pm when the meeting was scheduled to start, despite the allure of free pizza.

With one minute until they were constitutionally obliged to reschedule, quorum was reached at 1:29pm after a series of tactics that included Activities Officer Andreas Triandafilidis asking those present to “please text [their] friends”.

Treasurer William Guzzo presented a statement of accounts, explaining that while VUWSA will be running a deficit of $200,000, the VUWSA Trust has pledged to give the association up to $250,000 per year, potentially leaving them in surplus.

Those on the Governance Review Working Party then explained the decision making process behind its recommendations. Salient has previously questioned the reasoning

behind the recommendation that the executive have a Clubs and Activities Officer, since Clubs are no longer run by VUWSA following the introduction of voluntary student membership.

Working Party member and former president, Nick Kelly, said the recommendation was included because VUWSA aspires to regain control of clubs in the future.

However before the recommendations could be passed, at least ten students left the room, rumoured to have been attending a psychology test. While Vice-President (Welfare) Rory McCourt pursued them, a head count requested by Salient found that quorum had been lost.

“It was clear that we were suffering from apathy issues” said Triandafilidis.

The pizza was served regardless.

The executive has since planned a SGM for this Wednesday, where the association will again try to pass the belated constitutional changes. Students will also be asked to vote on the establishment of an equity committee and whether VUWSA should formally support the marriage equality bill.