Youth Climate Summit Looms

ANOTHER DEVASTATING BLOW TO OUR FRAGILE AUTO-INDUSTRY

Students are preparing to attend New Zealand’s largest ever youth climate summit in December this year.

The NZ-Pacific Power Shift Summit will see

1,000 young people take part in presentations, OM workshops and a flash mob over a three-day

A? period at Auckland University.

Power Shift is an international movement with the aim of empowering youth to “secure their generation a safe climate future.”

Some Victoria students are taking action before they reach the summit by using environmentally friendly modes of transport to travel to Auckland.

Politics and sociology student Chrissy Hamill will be joining a group of students who are cycling up to the summit, some from as far away as Dunedin.

“I’m pretty excited, I think it’s going to be heaps of fun,” Hamill said.

The trip will take three-and-a-half weeks from Dunedin and the group will be cycling with tents and all their other gear.

Fifth-year law student, Jamie Young-Drew will spend “approximately a week” sailing up to Auckland with a group of friends.

“I’ve done some outrageous things in my time, but this is right up there,” Young-Drew said.

Both Hamill and Young-Drew are excited about the potential of the Power Shift summit.

“I think we have the opportunity to shake up and catalyze the youth climate movement in New Zealand in a way that just hasn’t happened yet,” said Hamill.

Political science honours student David Smith believes the Power Shift summit is a good opportunity to get involved in taking action against climate change.

“There’s a big problem to do with climate change and how to deal with it, and youth play an important role in that,” he said.

The summit will be held from the 7th to 9th of December and will launch a 2013 campaign which aims to tackle climate change in a “positive and solutions-based manner.”

If you are interested in attending the NZ- Pacific Power Shift Summit visit: powershift.org.nz