Students Stood Up

Vic fails to show up on completion date

The Campus Hub project, the majority ofwhich was meant to be ready for O-Week, is now facing an unknown completion date. Following the Waitangi Day announcement of construction giant Mainzeal’s receivership, thecompany’s projects were immediately halted. Around100 workers returning to the site on February 7 werelocked out as receivers Pricewaterhouse Coopercarried out a site stocktake.While subcontractors were allowed on-site to collect tools and equipment in the days following, 12 days passed before work resumed last Monday under interim arrangements secured by the University. “A number of contractors are already working on the site and we are looking to engage a new main contractor over the next few weeks in order to finish the remaining work”, Campus Services Director Jenny Bentley told Salient.The Campus Hub project is the $67 million dollar redevelopment of the Kelburn campus’ central space. The redevelopment effort is now in its third year, with key elements due at the beginning of 2013. “The main Hub building has largely beencompleted and is currently in use” reported Bentley.“VicBooks, STA Travel, a pharmacy and the new burger and kebab bar, Hubside, are already operating in their new premises.” Despite the delays, students are enjoying the new furniture and airy ambience, and have welcomed the indoor-outdoor flow.“It’s very House and Garden” one student told Salient.Salient will have an in-depth look at what Mainzeal’s receivership means for the Campus Hub in next week’s issue.

Chris McIntyre