End in Sight for Endless Site

After close to four years of construction, nearly all elements of the Campus Hub are expected to be completed within four months.

The work still to be completed includes the entire internal refurbishment of the Rankine Brown building, including the Library and Building Management Unit on the upper floors, and the Tim Beaglehole Courtyard (also known as the Quad).

This is within the original 2014 deadline planned at the start of construction. However, a pair of lifts will take longer than four months to complete.

As previously reported in Salient, main contractor Mainzeal collapsed in February, leaving a cloud of uncertainty hanging over the project. LT McGuinness has since been contracted to finish the work, employing some of the workers shafted when receivers took over Mainzeal.

“Most previous subcontractors involved in the project are back on board,” Satish Dahya of Campus Services told Salient.

A financial report tabled at the most recent University Council meeting has identified the collapse of Mainzeal as a risk, the financial impact of which is currently uncertain. Exposure to ongoing liabilities is currently being assessed.

“At this stage we expect any financial impact to be minimal. Exact details will not be known until our discussions with the receivers are concluded. This is expected to take some time,” said Dahya.

The Hub cost $67 million in total, the cost being split between the University and the VUWSA Trust.

Despite not being completed, the Hub has already been officially opened by Governor-General Jerry Mateparae on 21 March, in a ceremony attended by University management, foreign dignitaries, Mainzeal employees, and student leaders.

All retail stores in the central Hub area are now open for business, with sushi store Makimono opening most recently. The unfinished elements of the project have not stopped students making full use of the space, with space often at a premium during classes and breaks.

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future