Monckey See, Monckey Do

The Vice-Chancellor of Victoria University has recently dismissed an official complaint made against staff by well-known climate-change sceptic Lord Christopher Monckton.

Monckton made the complaint on 11 April, directing allegations of libel, fraud and obstruction of academic freedom against three Victoria staff. Vice-Chancellor of Victoria University Pat Walsh rejected the complaint on 3 May after an investigation found no evidence to support the accusations of libel, fraud or staff misconduct.

The complaint was made in response to comments about Monckton in the media, an allegedly inaccurate graph, and the refusal to allow Monckton to book a lecture at the University during a speaking circuit of New Zealand. Monckton claimed the refusal was an obstruction to academic freedom, and that comments made were “fraudulent”.

Associate Professor Dr James Renwick had commented that Monckton’s views on climate change were “rubbish”, and Professor of Climate Change David Frame had commented that Monckton “goes around saying things we know are not true”. Professor Jonathan Boston had refused to host Monckton at the University.

Walsh defended the professors and their right to speak even if their opinions were controversial or unpopular.

“By speaking publicly in their field of expertise, they were doing exactly what we expect,” said Walsh.

Monckton had expected apologies from each of the professors and the removal of the “fraudulent” graph published on the Victoria University website. No action has been taken in response to this.

The accused professors were not fazed by Monckton’s complaint, and stood by their claims and actions.

“Monckton … has no credibility and no expertise in this field,” said Boston.

Other than climate change, Monckton has also cast doubt on the legitimacy of US President Obama’s citizenship. In September 2012, he predicted the odds that Obama’s birth certificate is real are “one in 62,500,000,000,000,000,000”, or 65 quintillion.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties