VUWSA Can’t Handle the Jandal

VUWSA has now decided it will hold a by-election for the vacant Vice-President (Welfare) (VP-W) position, as new funding was found which would cover the estimated $3000 price tag.

Following an Executive meeting last Monday, Education Officer Gemma Swan has decided she will also resign, citing workload as the reason. Former VP-W Simon Tapp resigned during the holidays to take up a parliamentary position with the Green Party.

Outgoing VUWSA Executive members have not been the only things changing positions, as the Executive decided to hold a by-election to replace Tapp three weeks after deciding they wouldn’t.

The Executive had initially decided not to hold a by-election after co-opting Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer Rick Zwaan into the position. At a meeting on June 24, a majority of the executive had voted against a by-election on the grounds of cost and timing.

Upon his return, McCourt stated the costs of a by-election would be covered by money received from the Student Forum. In light of the new information, the Exec agreed to hold a by-election with all members in agreement, except for Equity Officer Matthew Ellison (who voted against) and Zwaan (who abstained).

Salient will have more details on the by-elections as they come to light.

1. Legalising Abortion Is Still Best Option, Even for Pro-Lifers
  2. hidden figures
  3. Accessibility: Teri O’Neill is Running for Council
  4. VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport
  5. Research: Third of Tertiary Students Sexually Assaulted At University
  6. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  7. Issue 15 – Feminism