TEU v IOU

The Tertiary Education Union (TEU) has called for the Government to give more students Student Allowance, and Labour has said it is “time to get angry” about cuts to funding.

The TEU announced its Te Kaupapa Whaioranga ‘Blueprint’ for student wellbeing at a meeting on Tuesday 1 April. The document recommends raising the parental-income threshold for Student Allowances and increasing the amount Student Loan borrowers can access.

The document also “asserts we must introduce universal student allowances, funded through progressive taxation increases, and that those allowances should be at a level that is enough for students to live decently.”

Labour’s Spokesperson for Tertiary Education Grant Robertson said the Government had made “incremental cuts” to tertiary education, and students were receiving inadequate financial support.

“Students should not be the only group in society that have to borrow money to eat, but that’s what they do,” Robertson said.

“Labour will continue our strong record of expanding student support, and we will ensure staff, students and other community reps are on university councils.”

TEU national president Lesley Francey said the document was a “line in the sand” for tertiary education.

“The best way to demonstrate that we are committing our education system to the wellbeing of students first and foremost, rather than corporations, is not to saddle them with huge debts while they study.”