May 26, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

Kelburn Mediterranean Food Warehouse [Review]

Location: 89 Upland Rd, Kelburn
Cuisine: Mediterranean
Price: Moderate
BYO: No, sorry.
Rating: 8.5/10

In an award ceremony of my favourite things, the Mediterranean Food Warehouse’s Margherita Bufala pizza would, if not actually come out on top, at least merit an honourable-mention certificate. Situated on Upland Rd in the heart of Kelburn, the Kelburn branch’s close proximity to campus makes it a tempting dinner option for students. Plus, they do two-for-one deals on pizza (Monday) and pasta (Wednesday). Such happiness.

Unfortunately, on this visit, the service didn’t live up to expectations. After half an hour we were starving and drumming our fingers, watching the family who arrived after us devour their appetisers and then their mains, and enquiry elicited the information that our pizzas had been misplaced in the queue. Accidents happen; nevertheless, it was probably a mistake that should have been fixed sooner. However, I’ve been there before and service has been fine.

I was thrilled when our pizzas finally arrived. The Margherita Bufala was perfection, good enough to be worth the wait. The Vegetarian was nice, but definitely the lesser of the two. It consisted mainly of zucchini and capsicum, with tomatoes, feta and olives. Although the feta and olives partly countered the blandness of the vegetables, it was not quite enough, and so the pizza came across as a little watery. To lift the Vegetarian to the quality of the other, it needed a little more of a salt component, either more cheese or more of a tomato-sauce base.

Despite this, and despite an unfortunate service slip, the Kelburn Mediterranean Food Warehouse gives a great casual dining experience, with a nice atmosphere and impressive food. I’d definitely recommend trying it, particularly taking advantage of their special-deal nights.