Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 10.42.01 pm
August 17, 2014 | by  | in Food Online Only Opinion |

Jason’s Hundreds & Thousands Iced Buns

When I was a child, my Mum would always take me to the local Baker’s Delight, and every time without fail I would get a finger bun. These fluffy wonders represent a part of my childhood that will always stay with me. When last I was in Auckland, my Dad took me to Baker’s Delight (most likely to scope out competition) and again I had to get one of these little bundles of sugary goodness. Now with my Dad’s twelfth book coming out he thought it would be an excellent time to add one of my favourites. Now I really have no excuse to go to Baker’s Delight! I have to make them at home now!

Makes 12 finger buns

Dough
500g strong bread flour
10g salt
50g butter
50g sugar
15g instant dry yeast
2 small eggs (no more than 50g when cracked)
200ml water

Sugar Glaze
150mls water and 50g sugar boiled together until the sugar has dissolved

White Icing
200g icing sugar
1 tsp softened butter
5 tsp warm water
150g hundreds and thousands, for topping

Place all dough ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, combine to form a dough mass. Tip dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 15–20 minutes, resting it for 30 seconds every 3–4 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. This will take a while; the dough will be sticky to the touch at first, but don’t be tempted to add excessive amounts of flour during the kneading process – just persevere with the softness.
Place dough in a lightly oiled large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 45 minutes, until it has almost doubled in size. Uncover dough and tip out onto the bench. Gently deflate by folding it onto itself three or four times, then return dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for a further 30 minutes.
Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured bench and divide dough into 12 pieces of about 70g each. Roll each piece into a ball and shape into a finger about 13cm long. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place dough fingers on the tray, leaving space for them to double in size. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 40 minutes. The fingers should just touch each other when they’ve risen.
Preheat oven to 190ºC. Make sugar glaze and set aside.
Bake finger buns in preheated oven for 12–15 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove from the oven and immediately brush with hot sugar glaze, then set on a wire rack to cool. When cool, separate the buns.
Make white icing by sifting icing sugar into a bowl. Gradually stir in the butter and warm water to form a thick paste. Adjust icing by adding more water or icing sugar if necessary. Put hundreds and thousands onto a plate.
Dip the top of the cooled fingers into the icing, smoothing it with your finger, then dip immediately into the hundreds and thousands. Leave to set on a wire rack, then eat.