Not the most uplifting experience

First year students in Boulcott Hall found themselves trapped in a lift Thursday evening.

While going from New World Metro back to their hostel, via a parking building, twelve people became stuck in an elevator, waiting 40 minutes for firefighters to safely remove them from the situation.

The first call to the lift operators was a problematic affair, with the company not actually knowing where Boulcott Street was in Wellington.

The students called Boulcott Hall RA, Jason Sutton, and he was able to get in touch with the fire department. He stayed on the line with the students in the lift to make sure that they were safe throughout their 40 minute ordeal.

When approached for comment, Jason Sutton was not interested in building a public profile as a hero, he told Salient It is now historical and I have nothing further to add.

When the firefighters arrived they initially went to the wrong level, adding to the students’ trauma. When the lift was located, a firefighter called out to those trapped asking if they were okay, but no one inside heard.

Although the temperature outside remained chilly, the walls of the elevator soon dripped with condensation and those trapped inside began to get sweaty.

There is no idea yet as to why the lift became stuck, all the occupants were below the recommended weight limit of 100 kg.

This story comes three months after another lift malfunction, again at Boulcott Street Hall, trapped 15 students on their first night in the hostel. Power was cut and firefighters had to pry open the doors.