July 10, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

Gee-Mail

Kia ora koutou katoa,

Haere mai and welcome to trimester two! I hope your batteries are recharged and you’re ready for the trimester ahead!

During the break, VUWSA was busy planning a line-up of events and projects for the second half of the year. We have our annual classics, such as Re-O-Week, Faculty Games, the AGM, Blues Awards, and the Student Representation Celebration; but we’ve also put together a line-up of new events for 2016, including Arts Week, Mayoral Debate, and the inaugural Golds Awards (which will recognise outstanding clubs and club leaders). Hopefully you can take part in one or two (or all) of our upcoming events!

We’ve also been working hard advocating for you behind the scenes. Now is the time that we start our consultation on the Student Services Levy—the $718 you pay each year for support services, such as student health and counselling, disability services, recreation, Te Pūtahi Atawhai, and VUWSA.

This week we’ll be encouraging you to fill out our survey asking you how much the levy should be and what services should get more or less funding. Keep an eye on your email and facebook.com/vuwsa for our survey. Based on previous feedback, VUWSA has asked that the levy money be used to reduce counselling wait times, improve service delivery at Pipitea and Te Aro campuses, and improve student wellbeing.

We’re able to make these recommendations because there are two VUWSA representatives on the Advisory Committee for the Student Services Levy (ACSSL). This four-member committee is made up of staff and students who have oversight over levy-funded services. The VUWSA President and Welfare Vice President (Rory) both sit on this committee. It’s important you tell us how you think the levy should be funded so we can effectively represent you at the ACSSL.

Heoi anō tāku mō nāianei (that’s all for now)—all the best for your first week of classes!