Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)

Over 150 Karori residents and education sector representatives recently gathered at the Karori campus to question Victoria University and the Ministry of Education on the sale of the site.

The university wants to sell the entire campus for profit.

VUW and the ministry were criticised by Campbell Kindergarten, Karori Kids childcare centre, and Karori Normal School for wanting to sell the entire site. All three education centres claim that if they lose access to the community resources at the campus they will struggle to attract families to their centres.

Wellington region Director of Education Suze Strowger acknowledged these concerns and said the ministry is assessing whether to recommend a full or partial sale of the site.

Wellington Mayoral Candidate and Karori resident Andy Foster said the response to residents and schools by the Ministry of Education had been “inadequate” and that the Wellington City Council (WCC) was currently in the process of finding possible options for their response to the campus sale.

Labour MP for Wellington Central, Grant Robertson, asked VUW, WCC, and the Ministry of Education to have further joint discussions about the future of the site. Each institution agreed.

A decision on the future of the site is set to be reached in 18 months to two years time.

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,