March 13, 2017 | by  | in Podcasts |

Anna Faris is Unqualified

Anna Faris — Hollywood actress of Scary Movie and The House Bunny fame — is “unqualified” to give relationship advice, but that doesn’t stop her from doing so in this warm and funny podcast. Named the best podcast of 2016 by Entertainment Weekly, the show features Anna and her producer Sim interviewing a new celebrity guest each week, and ends with calling a listener in need of advice.

This is a great podcast because it feels real; the jokes, insults, and games make it seem like you’re listening in on the kind of conversation you’d have with your own friends. The show is recorded in Anna’s home, with husband Chris Pratt and four-year-old son Jack frequently interrupting. The guests — including Chris Evans and Jenny Slate, Jeremy Renner, and Seth Rogen — are often friends or colleagues of Anna, so the interviews are relaxed yarns peppered with not-so-rapid fire questions and improv games. The chemistry between old friends Anna and producer Sim is the foundation for these interviews. Their badinage is hilarious, with Anna lightly mocking an exasperated Sim trying to keep the show running to schedule.

The podcast typically runs for an hour and a half, with the last third devoted to solving the problems of a listener. Most callers have relationship questions, but family, friends, and career issues are also featured. Anna, Sim, and the guests all chip in — sometimes talking over the top of each other — to try to help the listener. Again, this feels so familiar, and not unlike those late night deep-and-meaningfuls you have with your own friends. The advice is sincere and thoughtful, and almost always gentle, with the notable exception of The Big Bang Theory’s Johnny Galecki blasting a caller for her infidelity (who knew Leonard had such strong opinions?). Tune in to Anna Faris is Unqualified for a superb package of comedy and friendship that will brighten up your day.

Start with: Episode 22, Jason Mantzoukas

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,