March 13, 2017 | by  | in Editorial |

Editors’ Letter

Thank you to those who visited our table at Clubs Week, it was refreshing to meet you in person rather than over email. It was made apparent that there are many who are unaware of the other two branches of the Salient brand: FM and TV. Salient, though predominantly print, also produces online videos and runs a radio station (88.3) — they’re always looking for volunteers (tv@salient.org.nz and fm@salient.org.nz).

A highlight of this job has been refilling empty stands on a Tuesday night… and while doing so a student approached us skeptically to ask if these little books were religious texts, because they’d seen them everywhere. With cult-esque similarities, like uniform branding, an ever presence on campus, and being the only thing Laura talks about these days, the claim is not entirely incorrect…

It was International Women’s Day last week and it seems important to note that if our staff and volunteers had gone on strike, Tim would have been left with an undesigned and unedited series of contributions, no news, and a half-baked editorial. Fortunately they didn’t strike…

As we have iterated in our previous editorials, history matters. And this week Dan’s piece on Ihumātao addresses the need for us, as a country, to confront our history and its lingering effects. The Save Our Unique Landscape Campaign continues the laborious groundwork of protesting, presenting, and lobbying — standing — to protect waahi tapu at Ihumātao, while we stand in solidarity in Wellington:

“Most importantly, we’ve got Māori and Pākehā standing together, which is what our treaty was all about — working together to protect what’s most important, which is the land that feeds us and looks after us.”

Enjoy the Kool-Aid and remember to email your letters to editor@salient.org.nz.