May 29, 2017 | by  | in PGSA |

Conservation & Environment Science Roadmap — Why We Should Care

We students lead the way with spirited voices on topical environmental and conservation issues, and aspire to conduct innovative research to understand and mitigate human impacts. But to do this effectively, we must be aware of relevant policies, documents, and guidelines which inform us of research priorities and information gaps that require investigation. No matter what discipline you’ve chosen, your research can assist in finding solutions to future environmental and conservation challenges.

One such document recently published by the Ministry for the Environment (MfE), Department of Conservation (DOC), and Sir Peter Gluckman is the Conservation & Environment Science Roadmap. It identifies research needs across all scientific fields, and aims to strengthen collaboration between them, by putting everyone “on the same page” in terms of the big environmental issues we face in New Zealand. The key research priorities are grouped into eight areas: environmental monitoring, climate change, biosecurity, integrated ecosystems, freshwater, coasts and oceans, species and populations, and social and economic factors. Roadmap recognises the importance of science in helping central and local government, private sectors, non-governmental organisations, and individuals make better choices toward a future where our economic, social, and cultural wellbeing is supported by a healthy environment.

On May 29, VUW will host a presentation by Dr David Wratt (MfE), Dr Ken Hughey (DOC), Sir Peter Gluckman, and Dr Anne Bardsley (UoA) in AM103 1.00–2.00pm. There will be a brief presentation of Roadmap content, how you can use it, and a chance for questions. I’d very much recommend attending if you want to find out how you can help New Zealand reach a more sustainable future.