May 8, 2017 | by  | in Film |

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

I have a personal theory (call it a qualm, potentially) that in ten years people will look back on all the Marvel films with far less fondness than they do now, and in 20 years the majority of them will be forgotten completely. None of the films are by any means awful — even Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The First Avenger are highly watchable — but year after year the Marvel releases are feeling more like an onslaught, and their production seems more like a conveyor belt than the labours of love that each and every film should be. Of course, the exception is James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy, and thankfully its sequel.

Here we find Gunn and Co. firing on all cylinders and delivering a dazzling balance of action, extravaganza, humour, and heart. All the cast are as good as ever, with added drama and inter-relations giving each and every character the chance to shine. When people said Doctor Strange took “risks” as a Marvel movie, I said “no, it’s just the same plot and character arc as Batman Begins and Iron Man with some trippy visuals,” and when they said Ant-Man took risks I said “no, it’s just another Marvel movie but the world isn’t blowing up at the end.”

Here we find a Marvel film that does thankfully play outside the box. The narrative has twists and turns, characters face trials of many sorts, and there’s humour and drama designed not to appeal to the lowest common denominator audience member, but people that actually love this wacky shit. The soundtrack may not feature as many old school bangers as one might expect, but a richer original score more than makes up for this. Visually, the film is also as inventive as one could wish for, with rich colours, detailed production design, and visual effects that even by today’s standards are outstanding. Go see it, it’s a bloody good time.

10. International Queer in Review