National Sexual Health Helpline Underway

The Government will be undertaking a competitive tender process for a new national sexual violence helpline, according to a joint Ministry of Social Development (MSD) and Ministry of Justice (MOJ) press release issued on May 12.

An MSD spokesperson told Salient that “this initiative is part of a $46 million investment over four years to better support victims and prevent sexual violence, announced in last year’s budget.”

In the original press release, Minister of Justice Amy Adams said that “the Government is committed to building a more effective integrated system to ensure victims of sexual violence receive the support and services they need. We want to better support victims of sexual violence through a long-term plan with a focus on prevention, and appropriate crisis and ongoing support.”

“We also want to ensure that funding goes to where it is most needed and where it can deliver the best results for New Zealanders.”

MSD told Salient that the helpline will run “24 hours a day, seven days a week via phone, website/online chat, email, text/SMS and social media.”

1. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  2. Issue 15 – Feminism