July 17, 2017 | by  | in The Queer Agenda |

The Queer Agenda

Every year UniQ kicks off trimester two with a bang. Since the VUW exam period coincides with international Pride Month, our forebears at UniQ decided that the best way to commemorate the Stonewall Riots and other historical moments for the rainbow community was to do so at the start of the next term instead. Thus, Pride Week was born, and it has been a UniQ tradition for as long as the current executive can remember!

Pride Week runs from July 24–29 this year (so next week), and is traditionally composed of a whole host of events designed to cater to an array of tastes and interests in the rainbow community at VUW. The week ends on Saturday night with a party at Ivy Bar (the theme: DENIM). There is also a tea party happening during the day on Wednesday that can provide an alcohol-free social option, as well as a dedicated board games evening on Monday.

We will also be running a series of educational sessions across the week, starting with a safe sex session featuring guests from Mauri Ora and the New Zealand AIDS foundation on Tuesday, a quiz night themed around queer pop culture and history at the bar Bad Grannies on Thursday, and a session dedicated to Aotearoa-specific queer/takatāpui history on Friday.

We are also planning to hijack Ivy’s Wednesday karaoke night, by popular request.

In addition to all these events, we will be taking over Salient next week. Dubbed Queerlient, we’re preparing a whole host of Quality Queer Content that will give Salient a Pride Week makeover.

Further times, locations, and other details to come, so keep your eyes peeled for Facebook updates and campus postering. We’ll be kicking off this Friday with our first movie night of trimester two, Boy Meets Girl. Don’t worry — it’s not as straightforward as it sounds! We’ll be in CO119 from 6.00pm. Hope to see you there, and happy Pride Week in advance.

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,