March 26, 2018 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

Discharge is Rotten to the Core

4/5

Women making cool stuff for the stage is totally my jam. As well as fruit puns. In Discharge is Rotten to the Core, you get both.

Discharge is the all-women comedy group who produced the show, originally formed in Dunedin and now Wellington based. The show follows a punk band called The Rotten Cores, which is made up of three women (of unknown age) who are trying to have a dress rehearsal, but arguments and jokes keep cropping up, particularly between Lemon Lime Bitters (Harriet Hughes) and Peachy (Rosie Howells). Self-reflexive, meta jokes are dotted throughout the show, to the absolute delight of the audience.

There were eight songs to break up the show. The songs were nicely put together and seemed to have funny lyrics, but I could only catch some of them due to the sheer noise of sitting in front of a live band. While Flux is a cool space, and they did well to deck it out and make it feel like we were in someone’s garage, the staging did not lend itself to a dynamic performance – as a band they’re sort of stuck up on the stage and can’t really move around too much due to chords, amplifiers, etc. The lighting, however, kept to the band members’ colour palettes, and was also reminiscent of lighting at concerts.

The story structure of the show was standard: small scale drama, revelations, forgiveness at the end, everything tied in a nice little bow. The plot was unsatisfying and unrealistic. I wished for higher stakes.

Overall, I really did enjoy the show. It was a bit of fun and a bit silly. I will definitely be looking out for Discharge in the future.