March 26, 2018 | by  | in Arts Music |

Doons – I’ll Be Around

4.5/5

After a long, hot summer break in Wellington, the first track from Elliott Harris in 2018 has been put out to the world under the name Doons, reminding you of the summer fling that slipped through your fingers as you reluctantly made the journey back to university, hoping that things may spark up again in the future.

Harris’s voice begins the song, followed by brooding guitar lines that match the lyrics in emotional weight and intensity. It is a bittersweet track, but optimistically uplifting as the chorus proclaims, “I’ll be around, call me when you’re down”. An energetic and intimate song, Harris has provided us with a gem of a track waiting to be added to your late-night playlist, or to accompany your melancholic daydreams as you pass the afternoon by.

“I’ll Be Around” is the first glimpse of what we can expect from the 20-year-old Wellington artist, who is currently a third-year student at VUW. After the release of his debut solo EP last year under the moniker beard-boy, entitled Institution, Harris has launched his latest project, taking a new approach to his music, with the inclusion of full band instrumentation behind his voice. This new approach has created a fresh indie froth track that gets better with each listen, as you fall into the comforting lyrics and lush guitar melodies that build, finally leaving you yearning for more as you play it again without hesitation.

Available on Spotify, Apple Music, and SoundCloud, this track is just the first taste of what’s to come for Doons. You can expect to see Harris’s star rise within the Wellington music scene and beyond, as we eagerly await the release of his second single in the next few weeks, and his EP in the coming months.