March 26, 2018 | by  | in Editorial Opinion |

Editor’s Letter

According to Urban Dictionary, “full of shit” has two meanings. The first one is: “Totally unfounded, not credible, or ridiculous… usually refers to something somebody just said”, and the second is: “Having a large amount of fecal matter in your body, usually necessitating a dump.”

Our cover speaks to both these meanings. The content of Salient is, upon (frequent) occasion, unfounded and ridiculous, an aspect of the magazine I am fully proud of. Our cover is a reminder to readers to maintain critical independence while reading. We don’t always tell the truth. However, neither does anyone else. Not the University, not the news, not your friends, not even your mum. Use your judgement. Collaborate with other sources. “Is this shit for reals?” is always a good question to ask. Physical evidence usually does the trick.

The second meaning of “full of shit” is a reminder of the primacy of biology. In our lives full of politics, technology, and complicated social theory, it is easy to forget that we are soggy sacks of flesh, who regularly need to take a dump. Ultimately, we are dictated by our bodily needs and limitations. Stephen Hawking died the other day, a reminder that all of us, no matter how genius, are just living out our brief animal lives.

You can be forgiven for mistaking that the front cover (and this entire editorial) is a regression to infantile toilet humour. In fact, it is the opposite. In this magazine, we hope to normalize and celebrate our bodily functions through exposure and open conversation.

I thought about adding something at the end here about how reading is like digesting information. But then it’s like, if the end product of reading and digesting information is more writing, are we in an endless cycle of eating turds? That’s a riddle for another day.

1. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  2. Beneath Skin and Bone
  3. No Common Ground
  4. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  5. Good Girls
  6. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  7. Winter Warmers: About Time
  8. Sex at Dawn
  9. BANG!
  10. PSC: One Ocean