March 12, 2018 | by  | in News Splash |

South Africa Moves to Confiscate White Owned Land

South Africa’s newest Premier, Cyril Ramaphosa, who in February took over from the deposed Jacob Zuma, has begun his term amid controversy.

A motion was tabled on Tuesday 27 February to amend South Africa’s constitution to allow the expropriation, without compensation, of white owned farms. The motion passed by a landslide of 241 to 83.

First voiced under the Zuma administration, the policy of land redistribution has been in the pipeline since March 2017.

The man responsible for tabling the proposal, Julius Malema of the Economic Freedom Fighters (a revolutionary Marxist outfit), went on record to Parliament just after the vote, saying, “The time for reconciliation is over. Now is the time for justice. We must ensure that we restore the dignity of our people without compensating the criminals who stole our land”.

This sentiment is mirrored by Andile Mngxitama of “Black First Land First”, in an interview with Russia Today where she stated, “whites do not own land in Africa legally… this land has been taken from us”.

In South Africa currently, 90% of black Africans do not own land, with 72% of land being owned by whites.

The only thing analysts seem certain of at present is that the Government’s stance is unlikely to help an already dire economic situation. In Zimbabwe in the 2000s, a similar land redistribution scheme caused complete economic collapse.

This move has triggered widespread outrage and debate on social media, with some calling it racist and spiteful, and others defending the move as simply righting past injustices.

Transvaal Agricultural Union of South Africa President Louis Meintjes warned this move would be fiercely resisted in the courts. A petition in the United States is gaining thousands of signatures, urging President Trump to allow all dispossessed white farmers to emigrate to the US.