May 21, 2018 | by  | in Film |

Books to Films

Love, Simon is a classic high school rom-com filled with tons of millennial buzzwords and liberal concepts that would make hipsters orgasm on the spot. I love it.

The movie follows 17-year-old Simon Spier. His story is a cute, funny teen romance like any other. A touch of Perks of Being a Wallflower and Clueless. Except Simon is gay. He also has a secret love interest, a gay pen pal, AND HE GETS BLACKMAILED FOR IT (ooooo, drama).

Not to ruin the story, but for once the gays don’t die. AND THERE’S A HAPPY ENDING.

Finally, right?

The movie is not perfect. Would I have liked to see more than one Asian in the film? Yes. Should there have been a more meaningfully developed relationship depicted between Blue and Simon? Of course. I also would have liked to have seen a more plausible premise.

But I think that’s what the movie was going for. It’s a gay romance in the most ideal of circumstances, but there’s still issues in ideal circumstances. Throughout the film, the adorable interactions between the two are juxtaposed with events that will melt your heart in many different ways. The white girls in the cinema will probably cry and clap.

I’ve watched the movie 9 times and paid for it every time. I am going for a 10th. Don’t judge me. Go out there and support your gays. I promise this movie is a treat!

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel