May 21, 2018 | by  | in Opinion The F Word |

The “F” Word

After trying to start a feminist club in a conservative Auckland Grammar School, I have heard my fair share of sexist comments. But living in a hall has brought those sexist comments home from school.

Sexism festers in halls just as pervasively as fresher flu. Sexist comments trickle out of the mouths of guys and girls that I share close quarters with — these comments are invading my personal space, I am sure they’re invading yours too. And ladies, we need ways to fight off these comments and make our living spaces sexism-free. We wouldn’t have let misogynistic boys traipse into our living room at home and mansplain the reasons why they don’t believe in feminism. If they did, I would first ask how the hell they got into my house, and then kindly ask them to fuck off!

I also know that walking around with a neon sign over your head reading FEMINIST isn’t always the best way to meet new people. But in reality, voicing your opinions on something that is sexist, racist, or homophobic is the best way to figure out who your friends are.
If the boy down the hall says he is going to try to move out of his law lecture because he doesn’t like female lecturer’s “teaching style” then let him know that “that’s pretty sexist dude!!” Navigating first year as a raging feminist may seem tricky at times, but it’s important to stand up for your rights, even when it may seem polarising and scary.
So, as the multi-talented Troy Bolton once said “We’re all in this together”, and it’s so true. Us first year feminists have to stick together — babe I got your back!

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel