May 14, 2018 | by  | in Arts Music |

This is Not a Music Review

Is this the end? Have we reached a colossal moment of oversaturation where nothing created has the capacity to sound truly individualised? Objects are only recognised in tandem with other objects, and without the former, we have neither. We can only identify space not through its appearance, but through the filling of the gaps.

But maybe perception through comparison is the only avenue available to us, or certainly the most convenient. If we can only define objects by other objects, then we must first have knowledge of the first object to possess an understanding of the second. If you start with an artist’s most recent album, and ignore everything before, are you a moron? Probably.

If we cannot perceive anything in isolation, what does that mean for your personal musical narrative? Possibly my review simply adds to the mathematical algorithm of ticks and crosses that makes up what is and isn’t music. How could you simply decide what taste is, and present that in any format to anyone and assume your opinion has any discretion over someone else’s thoughts and emotions? If I give something a bad review, will you listen to it to see just how bad, the same as if I’d given it a good review? What does the power of suggestion mean in an age when everything is simply a repetition of works before it, simply chopped and screwed just right to distinguish it from its predecessor?

Nothing is bad or good in music, it simply is. Scores mean nothing. When we begin to understand this, a deeper appreciation of the beauty but also the end of music can be attained. How could I rate my interaction with you? My Uber rating is 4.97, does that mean I’m mostly a good person and approachable? I still lie awake thinking about that fucker that gave me a 4. Hopefully Janelle Monàe would be happy with an 4.2.