May 21, 2018 | by  | in News Splash |

We Got the Price Wrong

Victoria University has pulled an advertisement for a three bedroom Kelburn flat costing $800 per week, after a hostile online reaction.

The advertisement was removed from TradeMe less than a week after it was posted, although the original Vic Deals listing remains online.

The furnished flat was listed on Vic Deals on 26 April as a “student exclusive” and linked to a Trade Me listing. The rent included internet and power. It received unanimous condemnation from Vic Deals commenters, who described the price as “daylight robbery” and “expensive af ”.

VUW tells potential flatters in its online information about private accommodation that the average cost of a three bedroom student flat is $630 to $800 per week. $800 a week for a three bedroom flat is $266.67 per person. Studylink will pay a maximum of $231.92 per week for living costs, making a potential shortfall of $34.74 on a property available only to students.

Salient asked the University why it was charging the upper limit for a flat, and what it had to say in response to the angry commenters. The Director of Student and Campus living, Rainsforth Dix, has issued an apology about the listing. Dix confessed that “We made a mistake and the house should not have been advertised at this price”.

Although she stated that “[w]e are acutely aware of the financial circumstances of students and we take this into account when setting prices,” no explanation was given as to why the mistake occurred and why it was not rectified sooner.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel