June 5, 2018 | by  | in Visual Arts |

Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside

Here are some mostly online things to see this week, because these days are cold lately.

Looking:
William Linscott, Daydreaming and the Death of the Internet, at MEANWHILE (online)
http://meanwhile.gallery/#platform-oligopoly
William Linscott has produced a semi-interactive text for MEANWHILE’s online gallery, meditating on the state of the internet as a place that is democratic and innovative, and how these notions are increasingly fallible. This sort of criticism is essential in order to find ways to protest against the internet’s adulthood as another censored, hegemonic form of media. The url world is not immune from any of the conditions (capitalist, racist, state-monitored etc.) of the real world that created it.
DIRT gallery (online artist-run initiative)
https://dirt.gallery/pages/exhibitions
They always told you at school that things on the internet are immortal. This is cool for an online gallery because it means their exhibitions catalogue is cumulative. DIRT gallery is an exclusively online space, which means that the artists they host have the freedom to be more experimental than a physical gallery space can necessarily allow. The two shows that have been online since this year are Maddy Plimmer’s Click Here, and Louisa Beatty’s Circular Breathing — two very different shows, which show the diversity that this platform can facilitate.

Robbie Handcock, Love You to the Wrist and Back, at Playstation until 9 June
This is the only exhibition on the list that you will have to venture into the real world to see. Robbie Hancock’s paintings exist in a similar world to David Hockney’s, combining homoerotic imagery with utopian colours. Dealing with queer subjectivity and aesthetics, Love You to the Wrist and Back is an intimate and sensual viewing experience, but also considers how these themes fit into wider social frameworks.
Reading:
Lucinda Bennett, To Care and Be Cared For, The Pantograph Punch
http://pantograph-punch.com/post/to-be-cared-for
The thing about creative practices is that it is often assumed that ideas and processes come easily, that they are some sort of lifeblood. Art is just like any other thing though; sometimes you feel burned out and it is hard. It is still work, and it is easier not to do it. In Lucinda Bennett’s essay, she describes why proper valuation and remuneration for the work that artists do is crucial to sustain the fields they are working in, especially when the precariousness associated with working in art affects marginalised groups the most.

ENDLESS LOVE, Blueprint for an ARI, First Draft

http://firstdraft.org.au/exhibitions/writers-program-blueprint-for-an-ari/

Artist-run initiatives can be really good spaces for hosting the work of artists in a context that doesn’t get them to fit an institutionalised narrative. The collective ENDLESS LOVE, consisting of Hana Pera Aoake and Callum Devlin, have compiled this document of essential considerations for an artist-run initiative. There’s also a really extensive directory of past and present artist-run initiatives around Aotearoa.