July 16, 2018 | by  | in Film |

Winter Warmers: Home Alone

In times of cold wintry blasts, being alone can either mean you are lurched up in blankets feeling warm and snuggly, or dredged up in your bed with an empty wine glass. It could also mean neither of these options, because I don’t know your life. But for Kevin McCallister, he spends his nights ingeniously setting up delightful machinations and traps for people trying to rob his house.
You should know the plot to this movie by now. A large wealthy family forgets one of their children on route to an extravagant overseas trip, leaving the child to fend for himself and guard the house from infiltrators. Honestly, this film’s premise could be passed for many types of house infiltration horrors if it was not a children’s comedy. Then again, you don’t watch this movie for it’s unlikely premise, you watch for the funnies.
The movie is filled with gleeful hubris and buffoonery. The traps themselves are wonderfully set up to be ludicrous, brilliant, and hilarious all at once. But the comedic gold really comes from the execution of reactions between Kevin (played by Macaulay Culkin) and the robbers Harry and Marv (played by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern respectively). You just have to see it and enjoy; the actors’ facials really heighten the experience.
Home Alone is one of those movies you can just go to with a spoon and an ice-cream tub (yes even in winter) and just let go. Let go of all the pressure of assignments, relationships, work, and life. It is comfort food for the soul. So, if you need a winter warmer, Home Alone is an excellent choice.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this