Eye On Exec

Rather than bore you with the details of VUWSA’s new cleaning roster (very necessary, Paddy has spoken of “chicken juice cemented in the fridge” at a previous meeting), here’s a few highlights about new campaigns your student reps are planning.

Campaign for Return of the 18 Bus
It is of no surprise to any of you that the new buses are fucked, and VUWSA have received “quite substantial” complaints. There are a shit ton of problems with the buses, including but not limited to: full buses passing students waiting at stops, inconvenient new routes, and the tertiary discount on Snapper not working.
VUWSA have decided to start campaigning for the return of the trusty 18 “Campus Connection” bus. Marlon Drake, our President, said that the campaign to return the 18 would be a platform to start discussing wider issues with the buses. It’s not the first time VUWSA has campaigned about the 18. In 2015, when the bus changes were being planned, the Greater Wellington Regional Council had planned to scrap the 18 altogether, and have students transfer at Courtney Place. VUWSA campaigned to save the 18 and negotiated the 18e, a direct service between Newtown via Mt. Cook. However, they were under the impression that it would be retained as an all day service. Rick Zwaan, the 2015 VUWSA president who orchestrated that campaign, said that it’s “cool to hear they’re starting it back up”.
The Greater Wellington Regional Council said that they removed the 18 route in an effort to minimize congestion and increase efficiency. In a survey they commissioned, 53% passengers were neutral or pro cutting the 18, and 47% were against.

Campaign on Mental Health
There’s a group of students who have started working on a student mental health campaign. They want to have better resourced student counselling, and to change the culture of how we perceive mental health. The campaign is as yet unnamed.

VUWSA Wants to Say What Students Want About Name Change
VUWSA said that they do support a name change of some sort, to reflect our Māori heritage or to show that we’re a forward thinking university. However their stance on this particular name change is dependent on what students think. They’ve made a submission form about the name change and within a day they’ve already had roughly 380 responses.
Sustainability Committee
The Sustainability Committee is focusing on how to reduce waste on campus. The environmental groups on campus are worried about not existing next year, because their execs are third years and graduating.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface