August 13, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

Political Round-Up

Nurses Accept Latest Pay Offer

In a battle of negotiations that has lasted months, nurses have accepted the fifth pay offer put forward by District Health Boards (DHBs).
Nurses accepted the offer on the 7 August, and it will be the most significant pay increase the New Zealand Nursing Organisation (NZNO) has seen in a decade. The offer also promised placement of 500 extra nurses to counter the staffing shortages experienced in hospitals. The 30,000 strong membership of the NZNO voted by a “significant majority” to accept the offer in an online vote which closed last Monday.
Government’s Finances Possibly Under Threat
The Treasury warns that its finances might be under threat, but the Government says that we’re not in crisis.
Original forecasts made by the Treasury before Budget 2018 showed that there would be stronger growths, but this has slumped because of a weaker housing market, a lack of business confidence, and a possible trade war.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern downplayed the claim. She pointed to an ANZ survey which showed that business’ activity will remain unchanged.

“Confidence is often reflected by whether or not there is change going on and yes, there’s a new government and there is change. The alternative … is that we sit and allow housing speculation and migration to continue to be the basis of our economic growth, that’s not sustainable.”
National Finance Spokesperson Amy Adams said that these predictions were “extremely worrying” and that job growth has fallen by 60%. She also said that the Treasury’s findings werenot real economic indicators about GDP growth, with other sources saying that the economy is stalling.
Winston Peters’ Meetings in Singapore

Winston Peters has returned to New Zealand after successful bilateral talks with foreign representatives in Singapore. North Korea was high on the agenda for Peters, and he stated that the denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula was in the processing stages, when he conducted talks with his Korean counterpart, Ri Yong Ho.

This comes two months after historical talks were made between United States President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore.
Peters talked with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo about steel imports from the United States. He reiterated concerns about the tariffs on steel imports and how they might affect the economy in the long term.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface