August 13, 2018 | by  | in Presidential Address |

Presidential Address

This week’s theme is travel. Travel is a cool word, it’s something that everybody wants to do in some way. It’s the most natural instinct we have. We can travel to the movies for that feeling like we’re going to an event, or we can travel to Europe and chill in a new city. I think it means something different to everyone. Man I love it. Here’s what it means to me.
My mum is from Vienna, Austria. This means two things:
1. English is her second language, so she can’t understand me when I talk too fast.
2. She has family and friends back home, so there’s a reason for us to visit.
When I’m at work daydreaming of travelling, or wondering where I’ll go next as I go to sleep at night, no matter where I plan to go, my imaginary route will always take me through Vienna. Many of my friends get sick of me talking about the city because I am absolutely obsessed with it. Before Sunrise is in my top 5 romance movies, because it’s set in Vienna. Every time I hear the words “Billy Joel”, I chuck on his song “Vienna” just to hear those immortal words, “Vienna waits for you”. I even have an obsession with the city’s beautiful public transport system (trust me, it’s amazing).
But it isn’t just the beauty of the buildings, the arts and history within them, and the food of the place. It’s because over there is my moma, my opa, my auntie, and my cousin who is only about a month younger than I am. I spent New Years of 16/17 on one of its inner city rooftops, and even though I’ve only been there a few times throughout my life, it always feels I’m going to my second home.
Often in New Zealand we talk about whakapapa. When I think of who I am, half of me lives in Vienna, wandering the streets, waiting for my next visit.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface