Snapper Short-Changes Students

Fairer fares may have arrived at last, but students are experiencing frustration with inconsistent fare charges. Affected students said that despite having activated their Snapper tertiary concession, they were sometimes still charged the full adult fare on Wellington buses.
“It’s happened three times,” Victoria student Ananya Shamihoke said. “It has happened on a 21, a 2, and a 34, across both peak and off peak times.”
Sophie Flentge, also a student, experienced the same problem. “The other day when tagging on I noticed that the tertiary symbol didn’t show up and the amount I got charged was the same as an adult fare.”
Snapper said that the issue was being investigated, and encouraged affected students to “note down the 4-digit vehicle ID, as this helps us sort refunds for all other impacted customers.”
So far, Snapper has indicated that individual card readers may be the source of the problem.
“We identified an individual bus this morning that hadn’t received the latest concession update, so may not have been recognising all tertiary concessions. We’ve escalated this to our ops team, to make sure this is resolved as soon as possible.”

Marlon Drake, VUWSA president, said that while obviously there would always be some issues with such drastic changes to the bus system, “we do think the process would have been made simpler if the regional council just gave tertiary discounts to all students, not just full-time and limited full-time students”.

Victoria has received 155 emails to the transport@vuw.ac.nz address to 31 July, with the bulk of the emails coming in on 15 July.
Snapper has said that any students being charged full fares can request a refund.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface