August 6, 2018 | by  | in News Splash |

Women of Vic Recognised in Awards Attempting to Make up for Centuries of Gender Inequality

The women of Victoria University are making ripples in the wider community, with four female staff members named as finalists in the Women of Influence Awards. Wendy Larner, Rawinia Higgins, Lydia Wevers, and Lucy Baragwanath were listed among 83 of this year’s most inspiring women.
Wendy Larner, Victoria’s Provost, is listed as a finalist under the Innovation and Science category, yet another accolade for the Royal Geological Society Victoria Medal winner. Larner’s research into gender, governance, and globalization has gained her an international name and acknowledgement from several highly-esteemed fellowships. Her next steps include becoming president of Royal Society Te Apārangi, and being on the UK’s Research Excellence Framework panel.
Lydia Wevers, Director of the Stout Research Center, is an editor, reviewer, literary critic, and historian. The list of books and anthologies edited by Wevers is impressive, and her works on New Zealand travel writing have closely examined an oft ignored section of literature. Furthermore, Wevers has long been dedicated to the New Zealand letters, sitting on library panels, book councils, and arts boards. An avid reader and proud supporter of the arts, Wevers is an inspiring figure for literary lovers.
Dr Lucy Baragwanath, Victoria’s Deputy Vice Chancellor as of 2018, has a legacy in leadership. Her resume includes Senior Advisor to the Vice Chancellor at AUT, Chair of the Auckland City Center Advisory Board, and Manager Research and Evaluation at Auckland Council. Baragwanath’s experience is certainly an asset to Victoria University and she is determined to increase Victoria’s engagement in both New Zealand and the world. “I am delighted to be able to contribute to helping the University to achieve its mission.”
Rawinia Higgins, Deputy Vice Chancellor, is a strong leader in the advancement of te reo Māori, mātauranga Māori, and Te Tiriti o Waitangi in the University and community. A member of a number of boards, and Chair of the Māori Language Commission, Te Taura Whiri I te Reo Māori, Higgins is an example to others in using her voice to better society. She led the Māori Language Advisory Group, who reviewed the Māori Language Bill, and 90% of their findings are currently in legislation. Humbled to be nominated, Higgins encourages girls and women everywhere to “stand up for what you believe in”.

10. International Queer in Review