Clubs Want to Jump Ship

In a recent survey to university clubs, 62% of respondents believed that the administration of clubs on campus should go to VUWSA. Currently, the university manages clubs through Victoria Recreation.

Overall, 39% of Vic’s 174 clubs responded to the survey.

Clubs and Activities officer, Connor MacLeod, said that “it’s clear that there is a mandate for change, and we need to listen to that”.
He said that the proposal to shift clubs management to VUWSA started on a clubs level.
“A lot of clubs share my view, that Victoria Recreation weren’t properly managing clubs.”
Connor said that the reasons the proposed change would improve accessibility, community, and accountability.
“VUWSA is both physically and emotionally accessible to students. Physically, because Vic Rec is down a gravel drive, and emotionally, as VUWSA has no age gap with students.”

He said that current management “lacks transparency” and isn’t “trying to build communities”.
Lars Thompson, a representative of the Politics Society, said that PolSoc had been supportive of the proposal from an early stage.
“VUWSA seems like a more empathetic and approachable organisation than Vic, being actually overseen by a student executive. Currently Vic and VUWSA share many responsibilities, making it confusing for clubs to know who to approach in any given situation,” said Lars.
The proposal for VUWSA administered clubs include the creation of a new online portal to centralise information, changes in funding allocation to a more sustainable model, and the purchase of gear, such as a marquee and a PA system, to hire out to clubs.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos