September 17, 2018 | by  | in News Splash |

Eye on Exec: 2% Fee Rise Proposed

There were no grown ups at today’s meeting because our CEO Matt was sick, and our secretary Joseph was away. So the meeting was kind of a shambles. Jack, our treasurer-secretary, was taking minutes. The first thing he asked was if he had to write down who makes the motions (the answer was yes).
Within the first ten minutes, Marlon left the room for a phone call (regarding pizza), and exec members came and went somewhat randomly throughout. A timely reminder that your student leaders are still students – they had to have professional cleaners come in to clean their fridge last week because it stunk so bad.
Things talked about at the meeting:

2% fee rise proposed :( :(
So big news for you all: there is a 2% fee increase on the horizon. It’s not signed off yet; it’s on the agenda for the next uni council. Geo mentioned that he hangs out with lots of mature students, some of whom take one paper at a time, which means they don’t get Studylink. “An extra 2% will kill them,” he said. He said that consultation about fee increases with VUWSA and rep groups in past years have felt “tokenistic” — “there’s already an underlying decision”. Marlon said that every year VUWSA asks for more consultation around fee setting, “it’s just one of those things”, but he reckons this year has been better than last year. 2% is the maximum amount by which unis are legally allowed to increase their fees per year.

David Clark Hasn’t Promised to Fund Tertiary Counselling

Marlon and a student named Sam met with David Clark to talk about The Wait is Over campaign. Sam shared his personal experience and reportedly they had a very “open and honest” conversation with Clark. He didn’t make any promises though. More meetings to come.
Other stuff
– NZUSA released a survey to members about their democratic structure.
– Marlon’s been taking it easy and catching up on admin because the rally was “emotionally intense”. Look out for yourself Marlon!
– Marlon spoke with Chloe Swarbrick about an Education Amendment bill she proposed which would see two students sitting on university councils. Uni councils make the decisions for the university – name change, fee setting, all that. Currently, there are two students on the Vic uni council — Isabella Lenihan-Ikin and Alexandria Mark. But that’s not the case at all universities, most of which have one member.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos