September 24, 2018 | by  | in Food |

Foraging Video Recipes

Johanna Knox is a local foraging expert, featured in this week’s Salient TV video showing you how to take foraged greens you might find on the street or in a park and make them into delicious food. To accompany that, here are some of her recipes, so you can easily make them yourself — they are all cheap, vegan, and can be made gluten free. Check out our Facebook page later in the week for the video to see the foraged greens that she found, what they look and taste like, and hot tips on how they can be used.

Foraged greens pakora
1 c chickpea flour
1 1⁄2 tsp curry powder
1⁄2 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp salt
Pinch chilli powder
2 c chopped foraged greens (can use any mixture of greens, but pūhā and chickweed are great)
2 tbsp grated onion
Water
Neutral-tasting oil, such as rice bran oil
1. Whisk all the dry ingredients together, then add foraged greens and grated onion.
2. This mixture works best when it’s very dry, the liquid from the onion and greens should be enough to bind it together. If not, add some water, a few drops at a time.
3. Add 1 cm of oil to a pan and put it on medium-high heat. Add spoonfuls of the mixture to the pan, and fry until golden brown on each side.

4. Once cooked, put the pakora onto a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with yogurt or relish.

The types of foraged greens you use in this recipe will change its flavour, and you can use whatever edible greens you like, get experimental! Pūhā is mustardy and somewhat bitter, and works very well in this dish, and chickweed is fresh and somewhat spinach-like in taste, and is great in salads. Onion weed can also be used as a milder alternative to the onions.

Onion weed garlic bread
Pizza base
Vegan butter alternative
Foraged onion weed
1. Preheat oven to 180oC.
2. Cut your pizza base into quarters, and spread your butter alternative onto the top side of each quarter.
3. Sprinkle chopped onion weed over two of the quarters, and then place the other two quarters on top, butter side down.
4. Bake for 10 minutes until the base is golden brown.
This is a great, milder alternative to garlic bread, and is a brilliant substitute for people with IBS or other people who generally can’t have onion or garlic!

Kawakawa pizza
Pizza base
Tomato paste
Foraged kawakawa leaves
Vegan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180oC.
2. Spread a thin layer of tomato paste onto the pizza base.
3. Add a handful of full or ripped up kawakawa leaves (depending on preference) to your pizza. Top with grated vegan cheese.
4. Bake for 10 minutes or until cooked to your taste.

Kawakawa leaves have a delicious fruity and peppery flavour, and make a great addition to pizza. They can also be boiled and used as a tea, and they were traditionally used by Māori for medicinal purposes. You can find kawakawa all over the place, and generally, the more holes the leaves have, the more nutritional they are!

10. International Queer in Review