September 24, 2018 | by  | in Presidential Address |

Presidential Address

This week’s theme is “looking back”. I’m a real badass, and a rule breaker, so instead I’m gonna look forward. What the fuck am I doing next year?
I’m halfway through my degree and I decided to take a year off to VOLUNTARILY do full time work? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? Why on Earth did I decide to take this on?
Don’t get me wrong, I love this role. I’ve been able to meet amazing people and do some pretty important mahi. I regret nothing. But how the shit do I follow this?
I’ve still got two and a half years of a law degree to go, but I kind of can’t be arsed. I need a break. I’ve also got like 10 people telling me to run for NZUSA, but the more time I spend in student politics, the higher my blood-cynicism-content goes up. I’m way too young to be a cynic, I’m 21 years old. I shouldn’t be worrying about anything. I also miss my university friends. Social life is a completely valid part of the picture, and I’m a very social person. I like to chill, party, yarn, and skuxx it. I want to do all of that now.
This isn’t a plea for help (although if anybody knows of a part time job next year, please email president@vuwsa.org.nz), rather just a kind pat on the shoulder to all the students who are facing graduation, or facing the fact that they might want to change subjects, or who are just a bit worried. Everyone is nervous right now. It’s a stressful time of year.
At the end of the day, I remind myself that I am so so privileged to have done the work I’ve done. Things are scary and confusing right now, but ultimately I’m going to be fine. I’ll give you the same advice I’m giving myself: take one day at a time, follow your heart, use your brain, figure out what you want (not your parents or anybody else), do that, and things will fall into place.
Now, I’m going to update my CV.

10. International Queer in Review