September 24, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

The Party Line

In recent weeks, several Labour policies — justice, the refugee quota, and employment law — have been diluted by New Zealand First. Are cracks showing in the coalition?

VicLabour 

No. It’s called MMP sweetie, look it up.

Greens on Campus

– Mark Metcalfe

VicNats

Not only have cracks shown in this New Zealand First-led Government, but the dam has burst. Since the end of the Labour party’s 100 day plan, the coalition has sat around to-ing and fro-ing on the minor points of policies and pushing through the unconstitutional waka jumping legislation. All the while debating bills proposed by the past National Government and holding an excess of members days. Not only this, but key election promises made by the Labour party have been vetoed by Prime Minister Peters. Policies such as increasing the refugee quota and the repeal of the three strikes law (while flawed) have been presented by Labour MPs, only to be vetoed by a minority party. Even last week, the Green party attacked the Government for failing to withdraw troops from Iraq. A policy near and dear to the Green party’s heart. Proving that out of the 63 MPs on the Government benches, only Winston Peters’ vote matters. New Zealand deserves a strong and stable government, not one divided across the Cabinet table.

– Grahame Woods

ACT on Campus

This coalition government is a shambles. They can’t agree and don’t communicate well. It’s clear to see that Winston wears the pants and Jacinda is just a show prime minister. However it’s a good job that she isn’t running the country because as we have seen this week, she doesn’t even know what GDP is!
These cracks that are showing in the coalition are just the beginning of a larger fallout. Winston has dismantled every government that he’s been a part of previously. It’s only a matter of time before this coalition comes crashing down.

– James Allan

10. International Queer in Review