The Wait is Over, But Where to Next?

VUWSA’s The Wait is Over campaign is continuing to make waves, following last month’s march on Parliament. The protest saw hundreds of students march from Pipitea Campus to Parliament, demanding better mental health services for tertiary students. Since then, VUWSA representatives have met with Minister for Health David Clark to discuss the need for improvements in mental health care.
VUWSA president Marlon Drake told Salient the meeting itself was a “massive achievement”.
“It was only possible because of the students who supported our campaign on the banner, online, and on the day. Students are now on the agenda when it comes to mental health.”
Several candidates for next year’s VUWSA executive have expressed their interest in continuing the campaign at the 2019 candidate forum last Wednesday. Marlon said that for now the focus is on self-care, continuing to hold important conversations around mental health, and maintaining the political connections that will allow the campaign to achieve its vision.
“We’re going to continue communicating with the minister, looking to push for a commitment going into next year’s budget,” said Marlon.

1. AUSA President Anand Rama Resigns
  2. My Attention is Broke
  3. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  4. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube