October 1, 2018 | by  | in Ngāi Tauira |

NT: Te Ara Tauira

As most of you probably know a couple of weeks ago was Te Wiki o te Reo Māori. One of the events we held was our annual taupatupatu at Te Herenga Waka marae. This year we had two debates — one te Reo and one English, tauira vs pūkenga. The tauira took out the English section and the pukenga took out the Māori section.
Here’s a run down of some of the kōrero that went down in the English debate. Kaupapa: should we not allow the live-streaming/filming of tangihanga?
WHAKAAE: We should not allow the livestreaming and filming of tangihanga. As it extends the boundary of the marae,it jeopardises the mauri and tapu of the ceremony itself. With Māori being more dispersed than ever, we believe that if whānau know they can participate in tangi from their homes, they may no longer have a reason to visit their turangawaewae, or whānau. As Māori, we value kanohi kitea, or face to face interaction, this is not a value that can be enacted over livestream or video. Livestreaming tangi does not allow the whānau pani (family in grieving) to grieve in privacy. More importantly, whānau must have the opportunity for their tears and hupe to touch their whenua, a signifier of loss and connection to the person who has passed, the land, and our ancestors.

WHAKAHE: Māori should continue to adapt to the technologies of the modern world, and adapting and developing tikanga that reflects the times is essential for the survival of our culture. As Sir Apirana Ngata once said — we must use the tools of the Pākehā to advance ourselves and keep the treasures of our culture as a crown for our heads.
Certainly there are arguments for both sides. Getting to debate these topical issues on the marae was a valuable experience and opportunity for us to share our opinions and concerns as young Māori people.

10. International Queer in Review