October 8, 2018 | by  | in Politics |

Political Round-Up

National MP Jami-Lee Ross Steps Down
Front Bench MP Jami-Lee Ross has retired from shadow cabinet duties due to health reasons.
Mr Ross handed in his portfolios of Transport and Infrastructure to National Party Leader Simon Bridges last Tuesday. Neither he nor Bridges confirmed how long he would be away from Parliament. Simon Bridges confirmed that Mr Ross putting himself on leave was not in relation to the leak regarding Mr Bridges’ travel expenditure, and was surprised at Mr Ross’ request. “You don’t always know everything that’s going on for what are personal, sensitive, perhaps embarrassing issues.”
Winston Peter’s Values Bill

Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters has expressed that he would like a bill to be introduced to the house which would insist that migrants hold NZ “values”. Some of these values include respect for gender identity, sexual orientation, freedom of religious choice, and a commitment not to campaign against alcohol consumption.
Mr Peters stated that the main reason behind his party introducing this bill is to stop the mass exploitation of migrant workers and Indian students. “If they’re coming into the country, then they should be asked before they actually sign up, ‘do you understand what it entails?’”
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the Labour Party would not be supporting the bill if it comes to the house.

Jacinda’s Week in the Big Apple

Jacinda Ardern arrived back in New Zealand after being away in New York for a week of bilateral meetings, speeches, and exercising a bit of diplomomatic repartee.
Monday: There was a significant amount of media fuss with Ardern’s baby Neve Te Aroha making an appearance at the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit. Ardern also appeared on The Today Show, a morning news and talk show with around 5 million daily viewers.

Tuesday: Ardern engaged in a bilateral meeting with Spanish PM Pedro Sanchez, whom she ended up swapping phone numbers with.
Wednesday: The youngest and oldest world leaders shared the stage at the Bloomberg Business Forum, with Jacinda Ardern and 92 year old Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad being interviewed about their leadership. She also made an appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
Thursday: Ardern made her formal address to the UN General Assembly. With New Zealand being so far down the list, the audience was pretty piddly, and the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing into Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh was happening at the same time.
Friday: She had very little to do on Friday, most of the time was a wrap-up with final media interviews being conducted.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties