October 1, 2018 | by  | in Presidential Address |

Presidential Address

Taken from my Facebook
HI VUW FRIENDS! Quick word on the NAME CHANGE!
While it feels like the decision has already been made, you can still make your submission by sending a letter to the Minister of Education. VUWSA will be making a submission to the Minister as well reflecting the views of our student submissions that the name should not change.
Now a quick word about a good mate of mine, Isabella Lenihan-Ikin. Issie is one of the two student representatives on university council who voted in favour of the name change. It was a really tough decision but she did it because she believed it will be best for students, and for the university. Some people agree with her, some don’t. Many just do not really care either way. This is all fine, and Issie hasn’t shied away from the debate.
What is not okay is bullying and personal attacks because she made a decision you disagree with. There is always room for passionate debate, and I have seen lots of opposition presented in a well measured and respectful way. I’ve also seen some pretty disgusting behaviour, mainly in the form of cyber-bullying. This is especially irresponsible given the climate of mental health in our community that many criticizers of the name change have been highlighting.
I’m not perfect, so really all I can say is that I hope that those that are taking part in the targeted personal bullying of a 22 year old student leader in our community reflect on their actions, and of whether those actions are in line with the values associated with the name “Victoria” they claim to be defending. We can do better. Happy to get ripped on this, but luckily I know that the people I associate with are civil and respectful.

On a final note, I hope to see engagement of this level on other issues facing students, such as poor mental health, sexual violence, and a fucking awful student housing situation coming straight at us this summer.

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,