October 15, 2018 | by  | in Presidential Address |

Presidential Address

And just like that we made it to the end of the year. This is my last column as President, and it’s going to be a squishy emotional one. I’m going to give some thanks.
Thanks to my flatmates, Eliza, Jenni, Carter, Tim, and then from my second flat Olly, Cole, and Sophie. You have put up with lots of complaints and rages.

Thanks to the whole Springs whānau for keeping me grounded. Thanks to the fantastic University staff that I’ve worked with this year, there are far too many of you to mention but you know who you are! Thanks to Nikky and Aidan from NT, and Andre from PSC.

Thank you to AVC Dame Winnie Laban and Gerard for guiding me throughout the year. Thanks Fletch and Harrison and VUWLSS. Thank you to my amazing staff. You don’t get nearly enough credit as you deserve. Thank you to Salient for not roasting me too hard. Thanks Jono and Caity from NZUSA. You kept me sane. Thank you to my amazing exec. We’ve had a hectic year, and we’ve achieved a lot. Though there have been ups and downs, you are still my exec and I have only love for all of you! Leading such an awesome team has been a blessing and we have made some significant changes this year.

Finally, a big thanks to you the students. I’ve spent this year being constantly inspired by all of you. We have dealt with massive issues as a community, and we’ve also had a lot of fun. My philosophy has always been that when students speak for themselves, it’s more powerful than anything I or any other exec member can say. I have always believed VUWSA to be a platform for that and nothing more, all the power is in our community, in the hands of our students.

It’s been a blast. Good luck to next year’s exec and the big boss Tam. You’re gonna kill it.
I’ve got two more years of study here, so I’ll still be round getting amongst the activism. If you want to stay in touch then I got social media everywhere. You know the name (@marlondrake). And remember when you see the giant with glasses, you can always come and say hello.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this