October 1, 2018 | by  | in *News* |

VUW Students Perfect Their Work-Life-Study Balance

For students, it’s important to have a healthy work-life-study balance. This can be challenging, but students of VUW rise to the occasion. Salient talked to several students about how they balance their various responsibilities.
“It’s really important to me to make sure that my job doesn’t take away from my study,” said Emerald McMatthews. As a gymnastics coach, she often balances on a beam to teach young gymnasts, but “they don’t mind if I dictate an essay into my phone at the same time”.
McMatthews finds that this balance works for her. “I’m a highly trained gymnast, and I only fall off sometimes,” she said.

As a bartender, Juniper Green spends their evenings balancing trays of cocktails. “But I can balance equations at the same time by doing my statistics coursework simultaneously,” they said, explaining how they print out their questions and hold it in their other hand while serving. “I have served a few people 2.2% margin of errors or two-sided tests instead of margaritas,” they said. “But I’m balancing it regardless.”
Elliot Tagovailoa works as a ship boy on the fair ship Cutlass, the main vessel of Wellington Pirates. He prioritises relationships with friends even when he’s busy. “The best time for keeping up with my streaks is when I’m leading hostages down the plank to their deaths. I balance on the plank and type at the same time.” He’s only toppled in a few times, “and then I always get a bonus”.
VUW students continue to demonstrate that it is possible to balance work, life, and study.

*Disclaimer: This is shit news*

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos