February 25, 2019 | by  | in One Ocean |

PSC: One Ocean

Kia orana koutou katoatoa,

Ko Georgia Gifford tōku ingoa, nō Tongareva henua mai au.

Turou, turou! Aere mai, ‘oro mai ki te hāpī o Vikitoria. Firstly, I want to say a huge welcome to all our Pasifika students joining us at Vic this year! You are all #pasifikageniuses and have made it so far already. Coming to university can be a hella daunting experience! Whether it’s your first or last year here, you’re living away from home for the first time, or maybe just that good ol’ general culture shock kicking you in the muli like nobody’s business—your Pasifika anau here at Vic want to make your time and experience at university one you’ll remember forever, and for the RIGHT reasons. There are heaps of different Pacific students’ associations here at Vic that you can join to make your time here as academically, socially, and culturally LIT as possible (cough, VUWCIA). You can find us all in the clubs directory on the Vic website, or come hit us up during Clubs Week in the Hub!

We have a massive opportunity and challenge presented to us this year that I want as many of us to be involved in as possible. Our past students had to fight to get this tiny weekly column for us, but thanks to them opening up that pathway, we are happy to announce that this year we will have our VERY OWN ISSUE OF SALIENT!! This issue aims to provide a platform for talented Pasifika illustrators and writers from all islands of Savaiki to share your precious, indigenous knowledge with our student body. If this sounds like you, please don’t be shy to hit me (or one of my sistas who are in charge of this issue) up on Instagram

@georgiagifford_

@sulaniliuahelg

@aldrinapolitavao

Have an amazing O-week, y’all, and I hope to meet as many of you as possible! Don’t forget 2 decolonise and moisturise hunniez xo

Meitaki poria,

Georgia Tarāni Gifford

Vice-President of VUWCIA: Victoria University Cook Islands Association

7. International Queer in Review
  8. Rostra’s Hot Takes – Queerlient
  9. Issue 14 – Queerlient
  10. Interview with Claudia Jardine