Proposed Liquor Ban Area
February 25, 2019 | by  | in Features Homepage News |

The End of Fountain Town? Liquor Ban Discussed for Kelburn Park

Wellington City Council (WCC) may impose a liquor ban on Kelburn Park.

The city council accepted a proposal from the City Strategy Committee on December 12 to work with Victoria University of Wellington towards resolving offensive alcohol-related behaviour in Kelburn.

The proposal requires the council to “consult with the community to create an Alcohol Ban area at Kelburn Park… [and] report back on the consultation by 30 June 2019.”

The council’s motion to support the bylaw was carried with 14 councillors (including Mayor Justin Lester) in support, with only Councillor Iona Pannett opposed.

Both representatives of the Youth Council, Councillors Jill Day and Simon Woolf, voted in support.

Councillor Day, who also leads the council’s Children and Young People portfolio, emphasised the complexity of the debate, and the importance of consultation as part of the process for considering a ban.

She encourages VUW students to engage with consultation.

“My primary concern is the well-being of all citizens. This is not a simple issue, so we will be listening to all submissions with an open mind.”

WCC minutes suggest that the proposal follows ongoing problems with alcohol-fueled behaviour in Kelburn Park.

A neighbourhood meeting of Kelburn residents on Wednesday, 20 February reflected this concern.

A number of residents outlined significant anti-social behaviour from drunk students, including the breaking of property and verbal threats.

Although a liquor ban was the obvious first choice for some Kelburn residents, the development of VUW’s existing restorative justice programme and messaging campaigns in Halls of Residence were also discussed.

The consultation process is expected to begin soon.

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,